Skype's Shakespearean Flaw

Thursday, February 05, 2009

No, I don't even know what a Shakespearean Flaw is, but I think it must be something really annoying, because that's what Skype's flaw is. So what is it? It's its partnership with a ghetto Chinese website called tom.com. Don't visit that site, you'll hate yourself if you do. 


So why does this partnership make Skype suck so much? Because when I'm in China, as I usually am, I automatically get redirected to tom.com's Skype page, where you can download the "Chinese" version of Skype. And by Chinese, I mean totally retarded and worse, evil. Evil because the this version tracks certain key words people send in supposedly encrypted chat messages and caches them. You know, words like freedom? And tom.com provides no link (it used to, which was acceptable) to Skype's site to get the real version of Skype. 

It's still possible to get the real version, but it's a pain. One way is to search "skype" in Google and click on the link that goes directly to Skype's help forum. From there click on "download" and you're on your way. 

Why am I writing about this problem that's not new at all now? Because last night I discovered that not only can I not easily access Skype from China, I can't even do the automatic updates properly. Skype 4.0 was released a couple days ago, and when I did the auto update at work (we're on a VPN with US servers), it executed as usual. Not so when I went home, where it said no updates were available. Total fucking LIARS.

0 comments: