On Feedback

Sunday, November 06, 2005

I never like reading the comments I get from my adviser. If it's praise, then I feel cheated. If it's criticism, then I feel demoralized. Still, I prefer criticism to praise. Revising is kinda fun, but these days I think I'm revising as an excuse not to write anything new...

Also, I've done a couple style exercises, one an imitation of Graham Greene, the other of Hemingway. Both turned out really good, and that should be a good thing, right? What's not good is how much more I enjoy imitating them than writing my own stuff. Not because I like imitating, but because when I do it, I'm working with style, and I'm conscious of it. In my own thing, which is supposed to be a novel someday, I feel restrained by the need to tell the story, and end up feeling that to focus on style would ruin the story. But style and content are inseperable. I know this. Yet I can't seem to make it work, at least not till I revise, but with the style exercises I don't need to revise them, they just work... ah I'm just bitchin. Go back to your ps2.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate hearing from advisors too. I'm the sort that will take any situation and make it stressful for myself, and since the work at hand came directly from me it's ALREADY stressful, so I make it doubly so. I only revise after a long long long time of divorcing myself from the self in my piece and the self i was at the time I wrote it, so criticism is only helpful months down the line.

Anonymous said...

i like my advisors feedback. shes tactful and encouraging, but doesnt pander to my ego, and forces me to push my boundaries. woo natasha! of course im still scared shitless when i think of sharing my stuff with others...but..eh

s