Depression "perceived" to conflict with Masculinity?

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

What's this "perceived" conflict? Too afraid to say that fuck yeah, it conflicts? Because it does. Part of what it means to be masculine or to act in a masculine way is to repress emotions. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just that that's what someone who wants to act in a masculine way does. It shows strength and discipline while at the same time could cause irregular and sometimes violent behavior. Thus is the danger of being a man.

I just hate that they say perceived when it is in fact a conflict. Stupid doctors.

1 comments:

Captain Melons said...

Hmm I'm not quite sure what you're defining as "perceived depression"--you mean that men, as defined in this article, perceive they are depressed when in fact they are not, thus creating a conflict that exists only because they will it to? Sounds like a symptom of paranoia--second guessing one's own emotional responses.

The article does point out that the subjects of the research were adults only sixty years and up, which means that the standard of what's masculine falls within a narrow range of definitions. I'm sure later generations aren't so susceptible to the "John Wayne" problem, but society still views overly emotive men as wusses/pussies/pansies/fags etc. It's undeniable that how emotions are expressed is a factor in defining masculine and feminine behavior, which, even if determined by societal factors (which I think is only true to a point--in every major society it's almost the same, men express emotions of sadness and depression less openly than women, suggesting it's as much a biological difference as it is one of gender), is ultimately a perception of one's self.